Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Story of Ian & Larissa (Original)


"Marriage is not mainly about prospering economically. It is mainly about displaying the covenant-keeping love between Christ and His Church. Knowing Christ is more important than making a living. Treasuring Christ is more important than bearing children. Either way, it is short. It may have many bright days or it may be covered with clouds. But if we set our face to make of marriage mainly what God designed it to be, no sorrows and no calamities can stand in our way. Every one of them will be not an obstacle to success, but a way to succeed." -John Piper
Okay, this clip made me cry, like 'find a box of tissues cry'!  Probably because, I know this is the reality Nate thought he would have to face.  He has told me about his early days in the hospital designing wheelchair ramps for our house and trying to wrap his mind around doctors suggesting he begin looking at nursing homes before I "woke up or came out of my drug-induced coma".  Either way, he was going to be there for me, honoring his commitment "in good times and bad, in sickness AND in health".  Sometimes it feels like there has been more sickness than health but then I watch this and in reminded of how blessed I am and, maybe there is more "health" than it sometimes feels like! Either way, I am so inspired and encouraged by this couple!! I hope you are too!

5 comments:

Loriann Champagne Smith said...

Cried my head off through this, (I saw it through the Tim Challies blog) and was reminded that even though Hannah has been dealt a severe blow, there are those in much worse shape, who nonetheless hold on tight to God. My own sorrows seem smaller... Think of you often, Lisa. You are a blessing!
Loriann Smith
www.thepilgrimroad.blogspot.com

Vonnie said...

This really had me crying too & I wondered like you did How did my husband face the info from the doctors. Luckily in a way, he was in a different hospital dealing with his own injuries so family told him what they only wanted to! But they knew what he wanted & helped him get it All Done such as wheelchair ramps for our house. Our marriage has had a role reversal in many ways...

Farmgirl said...

Wow. Just....... wow. I think that was precisely the kick I needed. Thank you. It makes it easier for me to believe he really can love me as much as he says, despite all the things I see as reasons not to.

That is incredible.

I'm going to go hug my husband, even though he is covered in dirt and garbage. ;)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful love story. True love. A God-filled kind of love of putting others above oneself. God will honor that, both on earth and in heaven. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing. I very much needed to read a true story like this to get myself off my own pity party and back into remembering all that the Lord has done for me so that I can serve Him in the way He truly deserves.

Anonymous said...

It's a super odd story how I stumbled upon this blog entry of yours(!) but suffice it to say that your words here flashed me back to when I hugged Nate at the hospital after you went in for the operation. My first thought was that he would need a miracle of God's strength and grace to survive all that was to come or might come. Looks like he got that miracle!

He's a good guy and I'm so happy you guys have had so many years of living life together!