Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ice, Ice Baby :)

This winter the whole Northeast seems to be covered in ice, I 'm sure the weekly snow storms don't help. To make a long, boring story short I have slipped and fallen on the ice twice this winter. I can't even remember ever slipping and falling on ice before, perhaps those are some of the memories that have been erased along the way! Anyway, yesterday as I am off to the doctor for my yearly physical I stepped out on our deck and didn't notice the thin layer of ice covering it. I took on step toward the stairs leading to the driveway and "BAM" total wipe out. Both times I have fallen this year the Lord has protected me from hitting my head. I will take the bruises any day over hitting my head! Even the thought terrifies me! I regained my composure and called Nate moral support. He, of course, got me to smile and off I went to the doctor. My appointment was at 2:45 and I sat until about 4 until I asked if I was forgotten about. by 4:45 I was at least out of the waiting room and in an exam room.



I thought it would be worth mentioning my spills on the ice this year. My doctor's response surprised me. It went something like.....well, I'm not surprised. Then something about the muscles not sending the right messages to the brain to help me' catch myself' due to the paralysis from years ago and lingering spasms from time to time. I had no idea. I thought she was just going to say 'Lisa, everyone slips and falls on the ice'. She suggested some 'ice climber clips' that would snap on to my shoes and allow me traction on the ice. Of course, my first thought was "great, another thing to think about every time I leave the house"! My friend at work teased my resistance to the ice clips by saying "what, you don't want to be an 80 year old women?" I appreciate her sense of humor!!!! So anyway, whether or not it has anything to really do with brain injury it is a way better excuse than what is likely the truth, I am an uncoordinated klutz :) I think I'll stick with the aneurysm excuse and be thankful I didn't hit my head!

On the bright side....the ice makes for some very nice photo opportunities.......










No comments: